Friday, September 30, 2011

"A million people can't be wrong".. or can they?

I've followed the news about the strict immigration laws in Arizona, ever since the first one passed. It was a shocking realization that we really haven't come all that far along since segregation. It's unbelievable, and yet not, that such a law could be passed. When I read the LA Times opinion article about this latest development, it only further cemented my views that America (Arizona leading the way) may possibly be going straight to hell in a hand-basket. Hopefully we're not considered illegal aliens when we get there. Though I did enjoy the informative article, I had hoped that I was going to read an article a bit more opinionated. The author does acknowledge that this win will come at a loss to American citizen's and our nation. In stating so, the author presents their view that they do not agree with the stringent law or with Judge Sharon Lovelace Blackburn's decision to find that no parts of the law were in conflict with federal immigration laws. Effective immediately, officials will be required to detain anyone they believe to be of illegal status and schools will be required to report students they know or believe to be illegal. Though the author does use passionate words, referring to the law as "cruel and unusual", I would have like to have seen more conviction in the article. I perfectly agree with the author's stance and appreciate the use of accurate facts that aren't muddled by biased opinion, I don't feel they quite encompassed all that the situation involves. I've was raised and born in Texas and having traveled to many of the states in this nation, I can say that I've seen an overall acceptance of my ethnicity. Or at least, people are nice to my face if nothing else. I can't imagine what it must be like to be in Arizona and have racial assumptions made on my appearance and having to endure the embarrassment of such a scandal. Reading the article at least gave me hope that not everyone out there shares these views, in fact most don't, and I'm thankful that people are still decent enough to speak up for others and argue what is unconstitutional.

No comments:

Post a Comment